There are many blogs on the internet that have been started and then abandoned within a very short time frame. In many cases, this is because the company did not have a clear blogging strategy before they started the blog and/or the blog writers did not have a passion for the blog’s main focus.
Developing a Blogging Strategy
Before you start a business blog, it is imperative that you have a solid blogging strategy or plan. Your blogging plan should answer the following questions, just to name a few:
- Who in your company likes to write, is good at it and would enjoy blogging?
- Who will write blog articles? Will your blog have multiple authors?
- What topics will your authors write about? (Brainstorm a list of topics on a notepad so you always have a list of topics to turn to for inspiration.)
- Will your blog always contain original content or will you also write short blogs that link to information your target market would find useful?
- How long will your blog posts be?
- How many times per week can, or will, your company post a blog article? Are you willing to allot the necessary resources to accomplish this?
- Do you have the resources in-house to maintain your blog or do you need to outsource it?
Business blogs should contain pure content that attracts your target market, engages them and keeps them interested, inspires or informs them and keeps them coming back for more great content. The ultimate goal is for your blog readers to subscribe to your blog so they electronically receive your latest blog posts automatically. (You don’t want to rely on them to magically remember to return to your blog…’cause it won’t happen!)
Benefits of a Successful Blog
Below are a few results that you will experience if you develop a clear blogging strategy and build a successful blog. You will:
- Increase the visibility of your business on the internet with more listings in search engines
- Have an additional means of promoting your products or services
- Establish yourself or your company as an expert in your field or industry
- Drive traffic to your website
- Increase your sales leads
If you are looking for results like those mentioned above, you need to set yourself up for success and a great pay-off by developing your blogging plan BEFORE you start your blog. After you’ve developed a great blogging plan, and allotted the necessary resources, you need to have your blog set up and designed and then start producing great content on a consistent basis. If you do, your blog will be off and running and you will start to see the positive impact it can have on your business.